Setting Up Millennial Media Ads
Millennial Media Ads represent another way for Andromo developers to monetize their Android apps. Enabling Millennial Media's Banners or Interstitials is as easy as adding any other ad units to Andromo, however there are a few steps that must be taken before this is possible.
The steps needed are:
- Signup for a
Millennial Media Developer account.
- Update your account's payment information.
- Set up your app's details for their approval process.
- Create Application Placement Identifiers (APID) for Banners
- Enable the desired ad format(s) in Andromo and enter your
- Build and test your app to initiate their approval process -
test ads will be shown during this period.
- After 24-48 hours you should receive an approval notification email, and begin receiving live ads.
These steps are described in Millennial Media's Get Started Monetizing article and below.
You'll find a variety of other articles in their Resource Center that may be helpful in the future.
To get started, Sign up for a Millennial Media developer account. Choose "developer" as your role and enter the requested contact details. After registering you'll receive an email with a link to activate your account.
Before you can add an app, you'll also need to update your payment information. You'll see a notification and a "Go to payment info" button when adding your app if this information still needs to be entered.
- Sign In to your Millennial
- Go to the "Apps & Sites" tab, click the "Add an app"
button, and choose "Android" as the platform. Click the "Next"
button to continue.
- If you haven't yet updated your payment information, you'll be
instructed to do so before adding your app.
- In the "Add an Android App" section, provide the requested
information about your app. Further details about these settings
can be found in Millennial Media's Add
& Manage App help article.
- In the "Create First Placement" section, enter a name (ie.
myappname_banner) and specify either "Banner" or "Interstitial" as
the type based on the ad format you wish to add to your app.
Andromo currently does not support the Rectangle type. Click the
"Finish" button when you're done.
- On the next page, you can click the "Skip this step" link since we've taken care of the SDK integration process.
Andromo supports two of the three types of ads offerred by Millennial Media - Banners and Interstitials. Each type of ad requires you to create an Application Placement Identifier (APID). These IDs are unique and not interchangeble, so when creating an ad placement, choose the correct type you'd like to add to your app.
- Go to the "Apps & Sites" tab and click the "Mangage" tab on
- In the "Placements" section (below General Info), click the "+
- Select the type of ad you want to add to your app, Banner or
- Enter a name for the ad placement (ie. myappname_interstitial),
and press the "Save" button.
- If you plan to support both banners and interstitials, you
should have two ad placements listed when you're done.
- If you've chosen Interstitial as one of the placements, you can also choose the type of interstitial ad you want to support. We recommend specifying "Both" in the dropdown under "Enable".
In order to show Millennial Media ads in your Andromo app you will need to find your Application Placement Identifiers (APIDs) and add them to your Andromo project. You can find your Millennial Media APIDs for your banner and interstitial under the "APID" column in the "Placements" section of the Apps & Sites page.
For further information, see the What is an APID help topic.
Once you have your Millennial Media APIDs you need to enable the Millennial Media banner and/or interstitial ads on the Monetization Tab of your Andromo project and then enter your APIDs in the corresponding "Millennial Media APID" fields. Next you will need to save your changes and rebuild your app.
Millennial Media has an initialization and approval process that must take place before you begin to see live ads in your Andromo app.
- After initially creating your Application Placement Identifiers
(APIDs), it may take up to an hour for them to be initialized.
During that period, no ads will be shown. We therefore recommend
waiting a few hours before testing your app.
- After the above mentioned initialization period, the next step
is to perform test requests in order to initiate their approval
process. If done correctly, you should see Millennial Media's test
ads for both banner ads and interstitials that include a message
indicating that your app is pending approval. Ensure that when you
test your app that you see both types of test ads if you've enabled
- After you've received your initial test impressions, Millennial
Media will review your app within the next 24-48 business hours.
You'll receive an email from them when your app has been
- Once your app is approved, you should see live ads within your app during testing. As with other ad networks, you'll want to avoid clicking on ads yourself, or extended testing with them enabled.
For more information see Millennial Media's App & Site Review Process help topic.