Audio files for sale to be downloaded into an app.

alansmithnl

20 May, 2012 08:18 AM

I have a number of stories from 15 up to 25 minutes I want to sell. They are Ghost stories complete with sound effects and professionally recorded. They are designed to take the tedium or monotony out of travelling on a daily basis.

My question is, how can I design a free app, or use an existing wave / MP3 player that will enable the user to pay for a story, then download an play it? I see you have an audio app already that uses files to play, but they are part of the setup for the app developer.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Kind regards.............Alan Smith

1. 1 Posted by alansmithnl on 21 May, 2012 08:49 AM

I have another question if this one is too difficult for you.
    My stories (3) vary between 18 and 30 Mbytes, but you say I can only upload max 6 Mbytes at 192 Kbs rate. All mine are MP3 and that sample rate, but a lot larger.
    If I include these three files as an inherent part of the app, that means that according to your rules, that would be impossible. How do you suggest I give the user access to the three files as part of the fee for the app without using some sort of website where they can get the files from?
    Again, your suggestions would be welcome.

Kind regards.................Alan Smith

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Colin on 21 May, 2012 02:58 PM

Hi Alan,

The Audio Player activity will do what you want. You'd simply make an app for each of your audio files you want to sell (you'll want to upgrade the app to Gold and turn off the ads of course), upload it to Google Play and set your pricing there. Google will handle the sale.

There is a limit of 50MB per app in the Google Play store. To get more tracks in your app, you'd have to encode the files with a lower bitrate or use the 'streaming URL' option.

Good luck with those apps!

Colin

3. Colin closed this discussion on 21 May, 2012 02:58 PM.

4. alansmithnl re-opened this discussion on 21 May, 2012 03:48 PM

5. 3 Posted by alansmithnl on 21 May, 2012 03:48 PM

Colin, thank you very much for the reply. Can I put all 3 files in one app, or does it have to be one file per app? I took your suggestion and saved all files as a lower bit rate
    Now they all come in at a reasonable 45 mbytes.
    Kind regards.....Alan.

Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

6. Support Staff 4 Posted by Colin on 21 May, 2012 04:03 PM

Alan,

If you're wanting to sell all the tracks together, then put them in one app. If you want to sell them individually, you'll need multiple apps, as there is no way to sell individual tracks within an app.

Good luck!
    Colin

7. Colin closed this discussion on 21 May, 2012 04:03 PM.

8. alansmithnl re-opened this discussion on 24 May, 2012 12:52 PM

9. 5 Posted by alansmithnl on 24 May, 2012 12:52 PM

Colin, good afternoon.
    I successfully uploaded three files for the application. There was an error in uploading one of the files - There's never a dull moment. I exceeded the upload size, so I made a smaller file by again lowering the bitrate. When I got the app back, it had both versions of the same story. Is there any way I can delete one of them? I wouldn't want this to go out with two of the same files.

Kind regards...............Alan

Sent: Monday, May 21, 2012 6:03 PM
    Subject: Re: Audio files for sale to be downloaded into an app. [Questions]

10. Support Staff 6 Posted by Darryl Hnatiuk on 24 May, 2012 01:02 PM

Hi Alan,

There's no explicit way to delete just the audio file, but you have a couple options:

1) Find the audio track in the playlist that you want to replace, go into it's properties, and then upload the new file (it will replace the current one). You'll also want to make sure you give them unique filenames.

2) Delete the Audio Track from the playlist, recreate it's settings, and re-upload the file.

Hope that helps.

Darryl

11. 7 Posted by alansmithnl on 24 May, 2012 01:11 PM

Daryl, I think you get the wrong meaning, the two files are no present in the app. Is there any way I can delete one?

Kind regards..........Alan

Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2012 3:05 PM

12. Support Staff 8 Posted by Darryl Hnatiuk on 24 May, 2012 02:00 PM

Hi Alan,

After re-reading, it sounds like you're using the streaming option instead, however I'm not sure I'm following you.

If you're streaming your audio files, each audio file (or URL stream) is referenced in the 'Playlist' section of the activity. From there, you can delete or edit each Audio Track item from the list, such as changing it's URL. After making that change, you would build your app again, download it and test it on your device. It's usually a good idea to uninstall/reinstall the app on the device in order to eliminate remnants of previous tests.

If you're streaming, any changes to the actual audio files would need to be modified where ever you uploaded them to. For any changes to the URL, you would edit the value in the "Stream File from URL" setting for that particular track.

Darryl

13. 9 Posted by alansmithnl on 24 May, 2012 02:08 PM

OK, I see your point Daryl, but once the files have been uploaded and the app created, I guess that the changes cannot be made. So I will have to create another app with a different name and upload all the files again, correct? 
    Originally, I made three files with the MP3 extension and wanted to load the app with these three files directly. ( not streaming from a website.) It originally told me that one file was too big to be uploaded as it was 6.5 Mbytes. It didn't tell me it was keeping the file, that's why I made a smaller file size less than the 6 Mbytes and uploaded that one.

OK, I will do another app, now I know what's going on. At least now I know, thanks for your help. The quality of your service is exceptional!

Kind regards............Alan

Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2012 4:00 PM

14. Support Staff 10 Posted by Darryl Hnatiuk on 24 May, 2012 03:04 PM

Hi Alan,

I'm sorry, but I'm still having trouble understanding the current situation. Just to be clear, are you referring to updating your app in Google Play after changes have been made, or just updating your app in general. Just so you know, it is possible to update your app in Google Play if it has already been released, you'll just need to build it again, and upload it as a new version.

Each time you make changes to your app using the settings in Andromo, you must generate a new app file (.apk) before you'll see those changes reflected. You can definitely change your app, as long as you hit build again, and download the new file and install it.

At this point, are you including the files in the app, or streaming them from a URL, because that's not clear to me at the moment. Any changes you make to those Audio tracks, whether it be files, or URLs will be saved and reflected after you build that app again and download the new copy. You wouldn't need to create a whole new app.

Darryl

15. Colin closed this discussion on 22 Nov, 2012 04:47 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac