USSD Code

hsantillanf

07 Apr, 2018 04:32 AM

Hi,

I would like to have a USSD code like this: *120*1*1*3*4# to be performed as a call...

When I try to put it as a call or as a phone number for a contact it says that the format is invalid... any advice?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Lorne Laliberte on 10 Apr, 2018 07:22 PM

Hello,

The Phone activity does not currently support the use of * or # characters because they will not pass a validation check performed by the website when you save changes.

One workaround may be to use a tel: link in a Custom Page or HTML Archive activity instead, and URL-encode the characters, for example:

<a href="tel:%2A120%2A1%2A1%2A3%2A4%23">*120*1*1*3*4#</a>

I'll see if it would be possible to have the validation check changed so it would support phone numbers in that format.

2. 2 Posted by hsantillanf on 10 Apr, 2018 08:40 PM

Thank you so much for replying!

Will that be displayed as a button? or plain text?

3. 3 Posted by hsantillanf on 10 Apr, 2018 08:54 PM

I just tried it, it is just displayed as plain text, it would help me if that USSD code goes directly to the dial screen.

Were you able to verify if the validation check can be changed to allow the characters * and # ?

Thanks a lot!

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Lorne Laliberte on 10 Apr, 2018 09:02 PM

Hi,

The example I wrote would be displayed as a plain text link within the Custom Page activity. However if you wanted, you could use HTML to make the link appear as a button, or use an image link.

Note: the Custom Page activity is actually just a simple editor letting you include standard HTML content. You can click the "Source" button in the editor to access the HTML source.

In both cases it would still need to be clicked in order to go to the dial screen. Note that it is being displayed within a separate activity -- the user would need to navigate to that activity from the dashboard in order to see your link. That link then needs to be clicked in order to launch the dialer (or whatever app is registered to handle tel: links).

Only by using a Phone activity would it appear directly on the Dashboard. (The app in general is not built using HTML, but using native Android components. HTML can only be used in places like the Custom Page, HTML Archive, etc. where we display HTML content.)

I don't see any reason why we couldn't change the phone number validation to support these types of phone numbers in the Phone activity -- so you might prefer to wait in case that is possible, instead of using the Custom Page workaround. However, I am not the one who decides what is possible within the web settings, or when, so I could be completely wrong about that. :) I have forwarded the request, though.

Note also that whether that phone number will work depends on whether it is supported by the dialer app on the Android device. I know it would work on standard devices such as Google's Nexus 5, but I don't know if that holds true for all of the thousands of other devices out there. (Some carriers impose their own arbitrary limitations in the device firmware.)

5. 5 Posted by hsantillanf on 18 May, 2018 01:51 PM

@Lorne thanks for replying.

Have you been able, to suggest the "phone verification" change while building apps? to allow pound and stars (# and *) to be accepted as a phone number.

I don't really know how to do that, you said in HTML. Thanks again.

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Colin on 18 May, 2018 02:06 PM

Yes, that is on the “todo” list for a future update to Andromo.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Andromo App Maker please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

18 Aug, 2018 02:43 AM
17 Aug, 2018 03:12 PM
17 Aug, 2018 12:03 PM